02.02 / 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Venue: Riga Business School (11 Skolas street, Centra district, Riga, LV-1010). Live event, which will not be recorded.
Event language: Latvian.
Time: 2 February 2023, 14.00-15.30.
About the discussion: Those receiving legal services are often not legally trained and reading legal texts can sometimes be complex. However, lawyers also tend to talk to each other in ways that lead to misunderstandings and, ultimately, disagreements about the interpretation of one or another legal provision. On the assumption that the main task of lawyers in their daily work is to contribute to the development of society within the framework of existing legal rules, can lawyers achieve this task if they do not pay particular attention to how they communicate with the public, with clients and with each other? By examining the communication practices of the legal profession and defining the basic principles of good legal communication, this discussion will seek to answer this question.
List of participants:
– Dagnija Lejiņa (moderator) – Head of the Reputation Management Company “Lejiņa & Partneri”.
– Gatis Litvins – Managing Director of the Latvian Council of Notaries, Doctor of Law, Associate Prof.
– Dita Plepa – Head of the Communications and Protocol Division of the Constitutional Court.
– Alisa Leškoviča – Partner at ZAB RockBridge Legal, Attorney at Law, Blog author.
– Aiga Veckalne – Linguist, Host of the podcast “Stop!” creator.
Organisers: Legal Hackers Riga. Legal Hackers is a global movement of lawyers, policymakers, designers, technology engineers and academics exploring and developing creative solutions and ideas on how technology can improve and make more understandable information about the law and related issues.
To attend the discussion, please register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/juridiska-valoda-vai-var-vienkarsi-par-sarezgito-tickets-523418959197