RTU audutorium “Domus”, Zunda krastmala 8, Riga
Riga Puzzle Day is a logic game adapted from Harvard University, where it has already become a tradition. During the game, both students and pupils are invited to solve the most challenging logic puzzles using their creativity and problem-solving skills. The tasks are designed to be fun and engaging, encouraging participants to think critically and apply their knowledge of logic.
Riga 11th graders, representing their school in teams of 2-3 students, are invited to participate in the first Puzzle Day in Latvia. Students will be given ten logic problems to solve in three hours. Each task has only one correct answer, and that is one word. Students can use the internet to complete the tasks. The team with the most correct answers in the shortest time wins the game. The three teams with the highest scores will receive prizes from the sponsors of the game.
Through this initiative, Riga Municipality and Riga Business School, in cooperation with Luminor and Balcia, want to encourage more young people to:
- Develop problem solving and creative thinking in students;
- Engage students in solving logic problems as a basis for further learning of programming;
- Encourage students’ collaborative problem-solving skills;
- To stimulate students’ interest in information technology and programming.
To emphasise that computer science is not just about programming, but about problem solving, none of the tasks require programming experience.
While students solve the logic problems, teachers will have the opportunity to attend informative and engaging sessions to enhance their personal and professional competences.
9:00-9:30 Registration and refreshments 9:30-9:45 Opening 9:45-10:00 Instruction on tasks 10:00-13:00 Task solving / Teacher sessions 13:00-14:00 Entertainment stands from event sponsors (while the results are being compiled) 14:00-14:45 Explanation of correct answers 14:45-15:15 Announcement of results and awards
Information about the logic game has been sent to all secondary schools in Riga. If you are a student in 11th grade in Riga and would like to take part, please ask your class teacher or school administration about applying.
- Riga Puzzle Day content – Linda Sinka, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communication and cooperation – Elizabete Lībiete, email@example.com
- Registration – Zane Biteniece, firstname.lastname@example.org, 29499767